I took the time to rest a little bit in the very nice and still warm city of Roma, Italia for the week-end before publishing this article about the second day of ACE 2013 which append Wednesday 30th of October. This second day was providing a lot of information on the Aras roadmap. Most of it must have been said at ACE in Detroit in May, but I think we’ve ha a fresher look at the coming version 10 of Aras.
A whole new set of icons has been included, shortcuts have been added. Colors are still the same but it honestly finally gives a realy fresh look at Aras Innovator.
Aras News & Roadmap
Here are my quick note taken during Rob McAveney’s speech about Aras news, presenting also Aras Innovator’s roadmap.
- strong investment in 3D PDF. With the server side converter, you checkin 3D models and get 3D pdf output
- Office connector
- Minerva has a connector which is still sold and working on customer side. I still have not seen and tried the Aras Office Connector. If you had, let us know how good this is.
- CAD Integration
- Aras claims to be the fastest multi-cad platform. We recently communicated on the benchmark
- Feature activation
- Features activation will be easier to manage with a new licence key management.
- Trubiquity File exchange
- I’m not sure to have all the details about it but it feels like there are some great dropbox-like (but secured) features added to Aras which I should look into soon !!
- Configurable InBasket (9.4 SP1)
- management features : look at your employees tasks
- Expand with new columns and new types of activities
- Platform support
- v9.4 => SQL server and Windows Server 2012 / IE10 / Windows 8
- v10 => IE10 not ealier version because of HTML5. Offers access to Mac OSX. Drops support for earlier windows and sql server versions
- Complete restyle of Aras 10.0 with new icons giving a real fresher looks.
I’m sorry, the sentences are not very long. These are more notes. Feel free to ask questions on specific items If you want.
Building a PLM skyscraper
Richard Mayrs – IT Manager @ Schrader Electronics
We met Richard at the first tech session on Tuesday and I understand and approve why is stated in his presentation that you should get people inside your company trained technically on Aras. There are so many things you can do with Aras without having to have 10 years of experience on the solution. That’s what I’m always telling customers. Have your tech resources trained on Aras you’ll really get them producing real value quickly for your IT environment.
Change Management with Patrick Willemsen
Patrick from Aras came back on the various options you have to manage enterprise change with Aras Innovator from the OOTB solution, and how you could quickly adapt it to your needs.
Other presentations and Closing
For the rest of the day multiple presentations were run in parallel. I was able to attend:
- Secure social and Visual collaboration which was really nice to follow. If you’ve read Oleg’s blog this year about why Social PLM 1.0 may have failed. John Sperling has shown nice features which embedded with the Aras Innovator security framework may be a nice answer.
- Solution Showcase: this was much smaller than for ACE in Detroit but still we could see some interesting things like our external collaboration service at Minerva for which you may have some information soon…
Finally Rob McAveney was back for even more information on what could be the next steps for Aras. It requires a lot of resources and we know its complicated and risky to work on everything so Aras and the partners will do the best possible to extend Aras Innovator capabilities using lean strategies in order to fulfill customers needs.
Andreas Muller from Aras Corp, closed the event by announcing next years’ ACE Europe Event in the same location which is a very convenient place to do so! Hope there will be eve, more people.